Monday, April 02, 2007

Incubus in developmental stages theory



Lots of people – critics or fans – say that the newest album of Incubus – Light Grenades - is less appealing or too soft or even shows lack of improvements. Hmm… I’m a bit nodding at it [yes i admit it]. Well, not that I agree with those comments but I too frowned as I [really] listening to the whole album for the first time. One question came up in my head was… “Is this the same Incubus?!
Well, no doubt it still has the strong flavor of Incubus-ism there, really thick for sure.
But there’s something… different…
Something’s… changed.

Hell yea! Changes do you good anyway rite?

Then I again drowned myself into their oldies from SCIENCE, Make Yourself, Morning View, A Crow Left of The Murder and back to rewind again the Light Grenades [too bad, don’t have the Fungus Amongus and Enjoy Incubus here, thou I found some in radioblog and song2play]
And YUP! Something’s changed.

The music is still reflecting ‘Incubus’ but getting a little bit… softer and… [What should I put here to describe it hmm??] mature? Nea… not…not mature but… maybe… ‘transformed’? Yea… could be.
The critical issues also a little bit changed. And the lyrics… well seems like ‘polite’ and ‘mild’ and ‘metaphoric’ probably best to describe.

First time listening to Light Grenades, my Gosh! I’m a bit worried that they’re turning to ‘consumer-minded’ but fortunately they’re not, thou have to admit they’re more ‘catchy’ here. Usually takes dozens times to get into ‘the Incubuses’, but here… it needs only three or four times to straight ‘click’ to them.
Is it because I don’t really listen to similar sounds recently or is it because I share the same ‘chemistry’ here? Hmm……
Whatever it is, one thing to be sure, their latest album really describes the ‘transforming-incubus’ into a different shape. An ‘age-suited’ shape maybe?? [Hhhehe, can’t invent a better metaphoric to describe it]

But if we take a closer look to the Incubus’ albums, it is easily said that they are none other than a ‘serial live journal’ of the band. Their developmental stages diary, exactly. While some people pour it into books/blogs [just like me ^_^], incubus chooses to interpret it in music.

Their first albums can be analogized to the adolescent stages where finding the ‘self-concept’ is the most critical point. It’s all about rebellious, desperately to be ‘heard’ or ‘seen’ or ‘noticed’, dealing with the changes and adaptation difficulties [that’s why we quarrel a lot with the oldsters] Stage where ‘being different’ and ‘the me, myself and I thought’ are the most important thing in life… rite? The world of “self-centered” that’s what I call.
And this lasts till early 20s.

After that, the ‘quarter-life’ phase. The stage where ‘the suited-I’ is already found and well-built. It’s when we really feel comfortable with ourselves and start concerning about ‘the outter-world’, especially in social and politic. Phase when we really view the ‘real world’, jump into the ‘working world’, aware about reality happens around us, so forth. A rebel with a cause per se. Not focusing [again] in ‘our-world’ but as a result of social-awareness. Well, best describe here probably Morning View and ACLOTM.

Now, they’re in their early 30s, rite? What issue is the most critical point in the world of 30something?! Yup! Indeed. Like it or not, it’s all about…… relationships. As you can see, the latest album talks a lot about relationship, not limited to intimate relationship for sure, but all kind of it. Hey, they’re just human after-all, and 30s is when building a relationship becomes so important, whether it’s family or other kind of serious relationships, because in 30s there’s a sense to settle down. Too tired of doing everything alone, too tired of being independent and exploring the free spirit side of ours. Kind like that.

No… they’re not [again] talking about making your self or driving your own path, like those in the past. No. Because they’ve found their own form. Therefore, even the spoken-issue is changed; we still taste the Incubus-ism there, correct? Even when it gets a bit softer or maybe lame?Politic and social issues? Yes, still. Still important to be discussed in this ages, but not to be delivered with angst. It’s more into attitude, and action rather than shouting out loud in radical-demonstrations or apathy behavior. I think that’s why they named it ‘Light Grenades’ anyway rite?


I think 30s is when you turn into a wiser-45$H0l3 [hahaha!]

See…
I’m not good at music so I’m not [or can not?] babbling about riff, beat, jam or whatever music-jargon is. What I’m trying to say here is just the feeling I get as I listen [I mean really listen] to every songs of Incubus. Many of fansites or any music-review sites talks about Light Grenades and feel disappointed and upset about it. They expect the latest from Incubus can at least similar to the oldies such as SCIENCE or MAKE YOURSELF or even FUNGUS AMONGUS

Well, because we can’t go back to our previous development stage, right? We step forwards not backwards, that’s the point.
So, it is pretty damn sure that every forth coming album of Incubus, differ from each and every one of them. Still with the ingredient of Incubusism of course, but the feelin’ and the spoken issues will be differed.

Wonder if they’ll talk about death and bereavement or probably anxiety of ending up in a torturing loneliness next. Anything is possible, correct?

That’s life and I think incubus interprets life in a good kind of interpretation.

Isn’t it fun? Having an album or two original soundtracks in each development stages we are in, hehehe.

For those of you who are curious about Incubus, here are the links…

official site
myspace
official fan-site
wimpy

or just click the ‘ON’ button on my music player right on the sound of music’s section at the sidebar.
Enjoy Incubus!
____________________________
not trying to interpret incubus or review their albums…
just trying to picture them from different views and angles

favies in LG: Pendulous Threads, Rogues, Diamonds and Coal

@kinda living my boring day here and yes… I’m surfing here and there to spoil my incubusholics-complex@

No comments:

Post a Comment