Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Linkin Park: when the wind of change is blowing [really] hard


I must admit that I quite disappointed with Linkin Park’s latest album, ‘Minutes to Midnight’.

I thought and a bit placed a lot of hope that this album was gonna be a major great just like before, with its politely-hardcore tune, since this band is my number one's favorite.
But as the first single came out early this year called ‘What I’ve Done’, I was, immediately, shocked and was wondering why they came up with some easy sounds like that. It’s absolutely way from the long expectation [been 3 years since Meteora, correct? I don't count Collision Course as an album], and all I could think was “is this the spectacular album they’d been talking about?!?!”

It made me think twice to buy the latest album to be honest.

So when it is finally released, I plugged myself ‘walking’ around to find the complete online playlist of this album and it was paid-off as I found one the whole complete playlist including bonus track of the album in one site.

I directly thumped on the play button and listened carefully.

Indeed, they’re changed.

The music seems too poppy and melodic and a bit EMO [if it’s allowed to say so. I admit there’s a bit influence of it] and… less edgy?
Well, sometimes, being a tame is good to be embraced but less challenge to tame it.
And that’s what happened to ‘Minutes to Midnight’.
It sounds too easy. Less challenge so to speak.
Hope sooner, not getting too cheesy, hehem…

Probably because it’s called ‘minutes to midnight’ then the songs sound much more melodic. It’s like a lullaby, really. I guess, from the very beginning of this album it is already been warned what's the album gonna be like. It is written in their first track 'Wake'. An intro that sounds really nice.

The only things define its edginess probably the cuss and curse.
That’s also new to this band. I thought the F-word won’t ever be at their count but what do you know? They put it there now [WTF?!]

I’ve no idea whether they intend to change for good this way or it’s just another experiment.
If it’s just another experiment, I must say that they’re completely success in doing it, but unfortunately quite hiding many sources [like the turn-tables, Mike’s loud-mutter and the likes] that defines Linkin Park from the very beginning.

If it’s for the sake of the ‘market-friendly’, I dare say that they’ve lost then.
Nu-metal is out? Hard-core is dead?
Is it the time where alternative-melodic-rock [if it’s forbidden to say EMO] is the new Nu-Metal/Hard-core nowadays?

It’s like what’s been written in their song called “In Between”.
I somehow feel like that song explains the change they’re in now.
It is never been an easy thing to be genuine.

So which one is the genuine of them then??
The ‘hybrid theory’ era or the ‘minutes to midnight’?
hell yea, everybody's changing. and it is called LIFE.
so, this is the part of Linkin Park really becomes alive, ^_^V
thou I must admit I miss Mike in the new album.

The only songs that ‘cure the itch’ are given up, bleed it out, no more sorrow and hands held high [Amen, hehee].
I don’t know whether No Roads Left is included in the album or not, but I must say it’s a good one too. Mike is really singing, hehem. Kinda rare to get in their early albums.

Gosh!
It needs times to lose my self in this LINKINnew-kind-of-wavePARK I must say.
However, I’ll grab the CD and take it home sometimes this very month. It is worth to collect, right?!

Hmm…
I just can’t imagine Linkin Park really goes acoustic in their next concert. Kinda hard to imagine Chester’s sitting calmly on a chair and singing.


_________________________________________

Tracklist Minute2Midnite:
wake/given up/leave all out the rest/bleed it out/shadow of the day/what I’ve done/Hands Held High/No More Sorrow/Valentine’s Day/In Between/In Pieces/The Little Things Give You Away

[on ears now] Hands Held High.by.LP

No comments:

Post a Comment